Friday, September 5, 2008

SLEEP TRAINING : AKA : HELL..... HELP


SO I KNOW THIS PIC IS REALLY WASHED OUT BUT LOOK HOW BLUE HIS EYES ARE!!

So we had Korbins one year doc apt. today- and i am glad to say that he is a healthy thriving one year old... he is 22 lbs, and 30 inches long, with a big head (we knew that already hence the c-section.) The Doctor asked if I had any concerns or questions like all good doctors do... I said YES! My lovely child for the past MONTH has found it in his heart to WANT to wake up around 3 ish and demand nothing but a bottle.. now keep in mind I did try other methods such as, plugs, ignoring it, and water in his bottle... NOTHING worked, the kid knows what he wants... so I being the mother climb out of bed with flashbacks of when he was a tiny newborn, for these "late night feedings"....

WELL... the Doctor did have something to say about this... apparently I am in the COMPLETE wrong with this and I need to so what is called SLEEP TRAINING, and now that a month has gone by it will be EVEN harder to break this late night snack habit... lucky me... according to the doc I am to let him cry until he falls back to sleep, and continue this till he is rid of the nasty habit.. easy enough... he even said it will take about two weeks.... I can do that!

So night one....



Three a.m.... I hear him start to whimper... I stay in bed and pretend not to hear it.... the whimper begins to turn into a cry.. which leads to pissed off I hate the world cry.. and then to the my mom doesn't love me, sad cry..... to silence....and then back to the whimper...etc....

This CRY CYCLE (as I will call it) continued for ONE HOUR.... I am sure it would have gone on for more than an hour but his pissed off I hate the world cry turned into really bad sounding coughs bc his thought was so dry..poor kid... and I could'nt take it anymore..... so sadly I GAVE IN.. .and went to comfort him with the thoughts of..., I CAN get up every night for the rest of my life at three for a few min to make my child happy (I was sleep deprived and CRAZY in this thought process)...........

Well he had been crying so hard he was really warm and had a small fever... ( I feel like a horrible mother) so I gave him some Tylenol and rocked him to sleep. (which by the way is the best feeling in the entire world... holding your sleeping child... so i placed my sleeping child back in his crib and went back to bed at 5:00 a.m. this morning... NOW i am sure i will here several suggestions and PLEASE DO! I apparently need them..........my goal is tonight I WILL NOT give in.... so stay posted and hopefully you will read a success story and not a failure one......

5 comments:

Miss Heather said...

He is the cutest boy!! I don't have a lot of advice (since I'm obviously not a mom) but I know it's okay to let him cry himself to sleep, even if it takes hours. It sounds like that's your only option. He's a midnight snacker like me!! :o)

Colby Heideman said...

we still have not gotten ahna to sleep through the night. she starts out by putting herself to sleep in her own bed and then some time in the middle of the night she will get up and move all of her beloved things, (george, drinking cup, blanket, eye cover and george's baby toy) out to the couch. She use to make us wake up to help her with this process but now she does it by her self. Then when the sun comes up (around 6) she comes into bed with us, because we are weak and do not want to get up to put her where she belongs.
When we started making her sleep in her own bed and putting herself to sleep we would sing primary songs to her. it really calmed her down. (i bet it is my angelic voice!) i remember when ahna was one.. i sure was not sleeping through the night...
my doctor is a fan of letting them scream through the night ,but they are all potheads. i haven't met some one yet who has used that method and it worked.

have fun not sleeping, it will get better, just think some day he will be able to talk back and tell you not to be a mean mama. (my personal favorite! )

oh yeah this is amy not colby

Clark Family said...

It seems in my experiences, that whenever we tried to start the "sleep training" Nyah would get sick or have a fever. So we had to wait til that passed. Anyway, it will get better. And once you get it down, if this habit ever picks back up, it will be quicker and easier to get back to normal. So, you can make it thru this hard time just once, and it does get easier. I have had many night where i sit and cry myself cause i have wanted to go get her. Haha. But later, it is SOOOOO worth it. Good luck!

russ said...

is it bad that i dont recall any of this last night???.....hmmm....

Carli said...

I would hold and rock too! I can't stand to hear my baby cry!